Hand Positions

Post your questions on technique here.

Re: Hand Positions

Postby Firefly » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 am

Thank you, Jorg! For me, it's a lot easier to visualize and to make different parts of my lungs expand. Could be that having had some experience with yoga helps me with breathing.
Firefly

Postby anarkist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:42 am

regarding hand positions:

It appears to me that the hand positions during the first two rounds of pipe breathing are intended as guides to give you feedback that your stomach is indeed rising, and secondly that there is some chest expansion.
I had been developing bellybreathing for years before EE, and so I've discovered that I don't need the hands to tell me that my belly or chest is expanding. In fact, my chest expands very little during belly breathing, and only expands more if i am doing 'chest' breathing in addition to or instead of bellybreathing
The third position with the hands on the back of the neck or shoulders I am not clear on. Laura states that this is to get air into the top of the lungs, but isn't that always were the air first goes on entering the lungs? I can't imagine air going to the bottom of my lungs first if I don't put my hand behind my shoulders.

So the question I have is whether or not there is an exoteric (or esoteric) reason for these hand positions beyond the explanation given in the DVD's?

thanks all
anarkist

Postby Irini » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 am

anarkist wrote:So the question I have is whether or not there is an exoteric (or esoteric) reason for these hand positions beyond the explanation given in the DVD's?

The entire sequence of 3-stage-breathing is to help us (re)learn to use our lungs fully while breathing, starting from the lower parts and moving the air to the upper parts. It is teaching the body to use the diaphragm for breathing again, where first the belly comes out, then the chest, and then our top thoracic area expands, during inhale. In our habitual breathing, most of us fill our lungs only a little, only at a certain level, and usually from the top down, using little muscles of the neck and the upper chest to lift our rib cage up, instead of the diaphragm. The lungs are located just below our collar bones, and extend all the way down to our diaphragm, but unless trained, we rarely use that top part.

Does that answer your question?
Love is anterior to life, posterior to death, initial of creation, and the exponent of breath ~ Emily Dickinson
Irini
Certified Instructor

Previous

Return to Am I doing it right?