Permalink to Amoeba found in soil kills elderly gardener, liquefies brain

Amoeba found in soil kills elderly gardener, liquefies brain

An elderly gardener died from a brain-eating amoeba found in soil after it turned part of his frontal lobe into a mushy liquid, according to researchers in Georgia. The 82-year-old man is believed to have contracted the shape-shifting organism while potting plants at an unnamed location, and was later struck by seizures, according to a case study, which was published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine. The man was first treated for bacterial, fungal and viral meningitis before becoming drowsy and suffering seizures, researchers from Emory University in Atlanta said in the report. He died nine days after being admitted to a hospital.